Broadband internet comes to Syria

January 16th, 2007 · 14 Comments · Uncategorized

An affordable broadband (ADSL) internet service seems to be around the corner.

There are rumours in Damascus that a new service is about to be launched. It’s likely to be around SP1000 (US$20) for a 256kbps line. That’s not an amazing speed but it is a good start, for a good price.

Until now, broadband has been too expensive for most people to afford.

Similar rumours swept Syria in the days before pre-pay mobile phone lines were launched in June 2003. Over the next few months, the phone companies kept reducing the prices, until it reached the $10 fee it is at now (that’s cheaper than most European countries!).

So, expect to see prices for broadband falling – or, more likely – speeds increasing over the coming months.

Thanks Hasan

• 1 Lazy // Oct 2, 2008 at 11.44 am

Hi,

sorry for commenting such an old post.. but i am interested in how is the internet-connection situation at the moment in damascus or latakia? is there dsl / broadband now? and how much does it cost and which company offers it? a lot of questions.. sorry ;)

Chris

• 2 sasa // Oct 2, 2008 at 11.09 pm

Hi Chris,

Nor problem. Yes, there is up to 2MB broadband in Damascus (not sure about Latakia).

There are a couple of state and private companies. The private ones have fewer restrictions on what sites you can access, but it’s harder to get a line.

Alternatively you can buy pre-paid dial-up internet cards in many shops, and then simply plug your computer into the phone line and you’re connected (no registration needed).

Almost all internet cafes have private broadband lines.

And – there is also wireless 3G mobile broadband, which is very fast, and offered by SyriaTel and MTN.

I hope that helps. Feel free to ask more.

• 3 Lena // Mar 12, 2009 at 1.21 am

Hi,

I hope you can help. Do you know what the fastest internet speed in damascus now is it still 2MB and how much does it cost per month?

• 4 Lena // Mar 12, 2009 at 1.23 am

Another question – is the 3G mobile broadband used for iphones? I have an iphone and would like to unlock it and use it there, will the internet work there with my iphone if I get service from syriatel?

• 5 Sasa // Mar 27, 2009 at 1.16 pm

Hi Lena, it costs 2000SP per month (for 1GB download limit). In theory this could be up to 6Mbps but it will depend on the area.

I’m not sure if it will work with an iPhone – i think so!

Try http://www.surf.sy – that’s Syriatel’s mobile broadband website.

• 6 Rhythm // Apr 24, 2009 at 5.35 pm

Hi Sasa.

Just wanted to know if I get Surf for only 1 month?

• 7 Rhythm // Apr 24, 2009 at 5.36 pm

Hi Sasa.

Just wanted to know if I get a Surf 3.5g internet for only 1 month? or not?

• 8 Sasa // Apr 24, 2009 at 10.37 pm

I think so, i don’t think there is any long term contract, so you can end it whenever you like.

• 9 Rhythm // May 9, 2009 at 7.28 am

Sorry for the doublepost.

Thanks for the reply.

• 10 Fernando // Nov 12, 2009 at 6.45 pm

Hey Sasa, if I were to live in Damascus could I hook up a service such as Vonage or Magic jack over there and recieve calls from the USA using voip?

• 11 Sasa // Nov 12, 2009 at 10.37 pm

I can’t say for sure, because I don’t know about VOIP. I’m not sure if the connection would even be fast enough. But there have been restrictions on Skype (because it means the phone companies lose call revenue if you make free calls via the net). So it would take a lot of work to set that up.

• 12 Fernando // Nov 20, 2009 at 9.53 pm

I’m sure Syria, will increase the speeds eventually but until then thank you. Is the situation the same in Lebanon?

• 13 naji // Apr 9, 2010 at 3.02 am

Hi Sasa, I been living in California for the last 20 years but my parents own a home in Damascus. I’m considering to relocate and live in Damascus. Do you think i could install Dsl line on my residential home phone in Damascus or its High speed internet are only for business locations.

• 14 Syrians Telecommunications Sector at War | Middle East: Israel vs Seria // Apr 21, 2013 at 9.44 am

[...] http://newsfromsyria.com/2007/01/16/broadband-internet-comes-to-syria/ [...]