Syria’s retaliation against America

January 13th, 2010 · 6 Comments · Travel

Following the failed bomb attack on a US-bound plane, America has imposed tough new security measures.

Tough new security measures to add to the tough new security measures imposed after 9/11. Except that these tough new security measures only apply to some individuals. People who carry passports issued in: Syria, Cuba, Iran, Sudan, Nigeria, Afghanistan, Algeria, Iraq, Lebanon, Libya, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Somalia and Yemen.

Every Syrian who steps off a plane in America will face extra checks, possibly hauled into a side-room like a suspect, before being allowed to enter the Land of the Free. Jordanians, on the other hand, will be allowed to pass through security as easily as a Canadian. Never mind that Abu Musab Al-Zarqawi was a Jordanian. The Amman bombers were Jordanian. The London-tube bombers were British. Yes, the rules are a nonsense.

So Syria has imposed its own nonsense in retaliation. Every American arriving at a Syrian border will now face additional discriminatory security checks.

• 1 Anas Qtiesh // Jan 14, 2010 at 1.13 am

I had to go through one of these a couple of days ago. Pat down and meticulous scanning of my belongings. The upside was that it took 5 minutes and the people with me had to wait in a huge line for around 30 to go through security. So it’s not all bad.

I can say I got VIP treatment.
    /sarcasm

• 2 norman // Jan 14, 2010 at 7.52 am

When i see how the US Mukhbarat acts , i think the Syrian Mukhabarat can secure the US better

• 3 Craig // Jan 14, 2010 at 9.06 pm

…before being allowed to enter the Land of the Free.

What was the purpose of that phrase in this piece? Is the US supposed to be “free” for foreign nationals? I’ve lived here all my life and I’ve never seen anyone try to make that claim.

You know, I would fully support it if Syria banned entry to Americans entirely. In fact, I think that’s a very good idea. I can’t think of any good reason why Americans should be traveling to Syria under the present circumstances.

• 4 norman // Jan 15, 2010 at 4.35 am

Craig,

When was the last time an American killed in Syria or missing in Syria , and when was the last time that a Syrian was involved in attacking American or the US land , just Remember that 17/19 hijackers were Saudi , while Syria kept all American visitors to Syria safe , not missing , killed or put in a kangaroo court , the Syrian security service is keeping Syrians and foreigners safe and that more than you can say for the US security system ,

• 5 Craig // Jan 15, 2010 at 10.41 am

norman, that doesn’t really make me feel much better since Syria has been harboring people who’ve been targeting Americans in Iraq and Lebanon. And I’m being nice when I say “harboring” rather than “sponsoring”. How many Americans did Imad Mugniyah murder over the years, for instance? Could anyone even make a good guess?

• 6 Raed ibn al sham // Feb 2, 2010 at 4.17 pm

Craig;
    Spoken like a typical american. You ignore the fact that the US invaded and brutalised the Iraqis and destroyed the country and see the resistance as murderers, the fact is that the Americans are the murderers and baby killers. and the resistance is the right and duty of every Iraqi just like the Americans did to fight the brits in their war of independence. In Lebanon, the Americans did what they always do, take sides when they don’t have a clue what the fight or the issues are. The US caused more harm and deaths in the mideast than even Israel can account for. So please do us all a favor, stay home and spare us your B.S. about truth, freedom and human rights, the whole world would be better off if you would just stay home.